Written by | Ray Cornelius
The 55th Annual Grammy Awards were held last night at the famed Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA. The three-hour telecast honored some of the biggest and brightest stars in the music industry and delivered some of the most memorable performances, faux-pas, and fashions moments of 2013, so far.
From Jay-Z dissing The Dream’s “Swap Meet” hat to Kelly Clarkson not knowing who Miguel is…really Kelly? Here are our Top Ten moments from the show.
10. Jay-Z thanks the ‘Swap Meet’ for The Dream’s Hat…This is one of those moments that TV viewers live for. Not only was Jay-Z’s comment unexpected but it was funny as hell. Frank Ocean, Jay-Z and The Dream were giving their acceptance speeches for their Best Rap/Sung Collaboration win for “No Church in the Wild” when Jay wrapped up the speech by thanking the Swap Meet for The Dream’s hat. Hilarious! Check it out and see for yourself.
[youtube id=”sHmDoDP67Jk” width=”600″ height=”350″]
9. Alicia Keys + Adam Levine = One Hot Performance…She can sing. She can play the piano. She can also act but who knew Alicia Keys could play the drums? The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter came out blazing last night with a remix of her song “Girl on Fire.” Accompanied by Maroon 5’s Adam Levine, the mash up of the two artists was probably one of the baddest performances of the night and I mean that in a good way.
8. Grammy Commercials…Much like the anticipated Super Bowl commercials, these promotional ads are also the source of chatter around the office water cooler. Whether it’s promoting an album like Taylor Swift or pushing tickets for Beyoncé’s world tour, the advertisements are as equally important as the show.
7. Dave Brubeck’s Tribute featuring Chick Corea, Stanley Jordon and Kenny Garrett: If you’re a jazz head like me, you were in sheer heaven when you saw Chick Corea, Stanley Jordon and Kenny Garrett performing Dave Brubeck’s Take Five as part of the Grammy’s tribute to the legendary jazz musician. It is very rare that these guys get any shine during the show, so hats off to the academy for allowing them to do so, even if it was for just a minute.
6. Prince presents the award for ‘Record of the Year’…The mere fact that his majesty graced us mortals with his presence was well enough for me. It was also evident to the crowd, who gave the Purple One a standing ovation.
5. Kelly Rowland and Jennifer Lopez…Obviously these two did not get the infamous Grammy memo prohibiting stars from showing their (clears throat) “credentials.” Check out Ms. Kelly as well as the other fashion ‘hits & misses’ of the evening.
4. Kelly Clarkson wants to do a duet with Miguel: After admitting that she had no idea who the Grammy winning singer was, Kelly Clarkson said that she would like to do a duet with him and thought his performance of “Adore” with Wiz Khalifah was hot. Well, so did we!
[youtube id=”dHYrYp_CRyg” width=”600″ height=”350″]
3. Beyoncé and Ellen DeGeneres intro for Justin Timberlake: Ellen’s attempt to have a Grammy moment a la Britney Spears and Madonna with Beyoncé was sheer comedy.
2. Bob Marley Tribute featuring Rihanna…Enough Said!
1. Justin Timberlake performs ‘Suit and Tie’ featuring Jay-Z…After a long hiatus from the music industry, Justin Timberlake is officially back with a brand new album and a hot new song that is burning up the music charts. His sepia-toned performance of “Suit and Tie” featuring Jay-Z was hands down, the most anticipated performance of the evening. See for yourself.
[youtube id=”chEolOq0eS0″ width=”600″ height=”350″]
Click here to see a complete list of Grammy winners!