Posted by | Ray Cornelius
The votes are in and eight of the top Historically Black College and University (HBCU) marching bands have been selected to perform at the 12th Annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase. Widely known within the marching band community as “The Honda,” the Invitational Showcase is the culmination of the Honda Battle of the Bands, providing a national stage to highlight the distinct showmanship of HBCU marching bands.
The Invitational Showcase will take place on January 25, 2014, at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, where tens of thousands of HBCU marching band fans will converge for one of the nation’s most distinguished marching band events. Grammy-nominated hip-hop star Big Sean will headline the event, performing songs from his latest CD Hall of Fame. Last year’s invitational featured R&B songstress Brandy, 90’s dance diva Crystal Waters and a Soul Train dance contest.
Check out the eight bands selected to perform:
- Alabama A&M University, Marching Maroon & White (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Alabama State University, Mighty Marching Hornets (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Bethune-Cookman University, Marching Wildcats (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Morehouse College, The Marching Maroon Tigers (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference)
- North Carolina A&T University, Blue and Gold Marching Machine (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- South Carolina State University, Marching 101 (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, UAPB Marching Musical Machine of the Mid-South (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Winston-Salem State University, The Red Sea of Sound (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association)
The eight HBCUs will receive a $20,000 grant from Honda for their music education programs, plus an all-expenses paid trip to Atlanta for the Invitational Showcase.
Click here to purchase tickets.
Photo Credit: HondaBattleoftheBands.com